7 Bible Verses To Cling Onto During Your Waiting Season
God has a plan for every single one of us and that plan inevitably involves seasons where we are called to wait on His timing. During those seasons of waiting, it can get discouraging to wait especially as the wait continues on... and on... and on... sometimes for years. When waiting starts to get tough, one of the things I have found helpful is clinging onto the word of God for encouragement and hope. So here are 7 Bible verses to cling onto during your waiting season.
1. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11
Let this verse be your reminder as you wait on God that His plans are meant for your good. Waiting may be frustrating right now, but God does not intend to harm you by making you wait. On the contrary, He has great plans for you. Lean into that truth, hold onto that promise as you wait, and trust in God's plans for your life.
2. "You will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." ~ Jeremiah 29:12
God hears you when you pray. Every time you call on Him, every time you pray, God listens to you and hears you. So let this verse encourage you to keep going back to God when waiting gets tough. Know that He hears every single one of your cries when you go to Him. He doesn't get tired of hearing you pray about the same thing over and over again. On the contrary, He wants you to seek Him with all your heart. That includes your disappointment, your fears, your worries, and your frustration about your waiting season.
3. "Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." ~ Hebrews 12:1-3
Jesus endured the cross and all that it came with because He knew there was a bigger purpose for His suffering. He knew on the other side of the pain and torture He endured on the cross, there was hope. This passage encourages us to consider Jesus' suffering when we ourselves are going through times of trials so that we do not grow weary and lose heart. So as your waiting season gets discouraging, remember to keep your eyes fixed on Jesus. Remember that there is a bigger purpose for your wait and that there is hope on the other side of this.
4. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." ~ James 1:2-3
I know the last thing you want to hear right now is to consider it pure joy that you're frustrated and discouraged as you wait. The part I want to bring to your attention is what trials and tribulations produce in us: perseverance. This is a character trait that is needed to make it through not just this season, but the various more to come. So if nothing else, know that your ability to persevere even when things don't look how you would like them to, is being developed in this season of your life. Once perseverance finishes its work in you through the current season you're in, you will be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Let this bring you hope that there is purpose in the pain and frustration you're currently feeling.
5. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." ~ Proverbs 3:5-6
As waiting on God starts to get more and more discouraging, you will start interpreting what is happening based on what you see or how you feel. Let this verse be your reminder not to lean on your own understanding of what's happening or not happening right now. Trust that there is more to this season and to God making you wait that goes beyond your human understanding. Submit your fears and your feelings to Him in this season. Lean on Him for guidance and comfort and He will make your paths straight.
6. "For the revelation awaits an appointed time, it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay." ~ Habakkuk 2:3
For everything in your life, there is an appointed time set by God. So as waiting gets hard, remember that God's promises in your life will not prove false. Even though it may take a while for them to come to fruition, they will certainly come. Hold onto this verse and go back to it anytime you start to get discouraged and start thinking that maybe it won't happen for you anymore. God's promise over your life has an appointed time. Wait for it and trust that God's timing is perfect.
7. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." ~ Romans 8:28
God works everything out for your good. Every single thing you are going through right now as you wait, every single emotion you are feeling, everything will be used for your good. Lean into that promise and as the waiting gets tough, remember that ultimately, it will all work out for your good.
I pray this encouraged you and gave you some renewed hope as you wait on the Lord.
Rooting for you always,